Harris Academy Basket Ball & Self Defence 2 Year Coaching Program
The Harris Academy is a coeducational academy based in Peckham, in the London Borough of Southwark, catering for pupils from the ages of 11 to 18, The school specialises a curriculum stimulating learning opportunities including Physical Education, IT, Maths and English.
The school ensures every child, teenager and young adult achieves excellence in all aspects of academy life through high aspirations, both in terms of academic standards and personal development, in order to prepare them for the demands of the 21st century global workplace.
All students of the Harris Academy adhere to LEAP principles (Leadership, Enquiry, Aspiration and Perseverance) in a disciplined context where good manners, smart uniform and mature conduct are expected from all.
The Academy Of Sport based in South London works in conjunction with the Harris Academy offering sports ambassador leadership and sporting activities as part of their students GCSE and A-Level education and accreditation.
From 2004 to 2006, sports ambassadors Luke James and other trainers were issued the role of teaching basket ball and martial arts as part of the students accreditation on a weekly basis by the Academy Of Sport. The half day sessions use to run every Wednesday midday onwards delivering the sports coaching to the students into 2 sections : (1) Basket Ball and (2) Martial Arts. The Sports Ambassadors had to have recognized teaching qualifications and be approved prior to running the program.
The aim of the sports coaching program was to develop Leadership, Enquiry, Aspiration and Perseverance in the following ways:
• Understanding that to fulfill potential, taking ownership of learning is crucial.
• Being able to improve independent and collaborative skills to become a fully-rounded leader by demonstrating tolerance and empathy towards others.
• Developing the courage and confidence to lead with confidence and conviction, motivating and supporting others with compassion.
• Communicating with fluency, confidence and accuracy, understanding how to alter words and tone as suitable to audience and purpose in a mature and sophisticated manner.
• Understanding the importance of being a positive role model to others and an effective compassionate citizen in our academy community and beyond.
• Acquiring and maintaining a curious approach to learning, dedicating oneself to the discovery of further depths of knowledge so that profound understanding and application can occur.
• Questioning the meaning of each new chapter of learning to fully immerse in new information, gaining ownership through investigation, analysis and study.
• Applying independent and collaborative skills to interrogate new learning to master new concepts and skills.
• Cultivating a will to excel across all facets of academy life: academic, personal and interpersonal.
• Committing to the self-belief and hard work required to achieve goals, understanding that growth mindset and reflection are needed to exceed targets, taking pride in one’s own and others’ accomplishments.
• Meeting the challenges delivered in class and setting one’s own high level challenges to further extend learning and personal development.
• Fostering a confidence in one’s own attributes and in one’s peers to be able to celebrate and inspire further the skills and talents needed to excel as an individual and as a collective.
• Developing the resilience to face all barriers in learning and challenges to personal growth to consistently commit to self-improvement.
• Maintaining the focus and positive mindset needed to excel in all aspects of academy life, demonstrating a mature dedication to fulfilling one’s personal best and fostering a determination to learn from mistakes to strengthen resolve to succeed.
• Understanding that there are no excuses, but to empower oneself through building strength through learning and reflection.
• Fostering the ability to be a leader of one’s own learning.
The Basket Ball coaching program covered :
• Passing (including getting free and catching the ball)
• Individual offence
• Individual defence
• Playing the game and simple tactics
• Introducing the game to beginners
• Basic rules
• Organising practice sessions
• Communication skills
• Teaching players the skills of passing, set shooting, lay-ups, footwork, dribbling and basic one v one and team play.
The Martial Arts coaching program was designed to offer all students the mental and physical benefits of training including:
• Focusing and Listening
• Teamwork and Positive Social Interaction
• Self-Control and Good Decision Making
• Balance and Posture
• Memorization and Retention
• Self-Discipline and Responsibility
• Physical Fitness and Healthy Living
• Coordination and Motor Skills
• Self-Esteem and Confidence Building
• Stranger Awareness and Personal Safety
• Discipline, Behavior and School
• Physical Fitness
• Anti-Bullying Education
• Personal Attention
• Social Skills and Friendship
• Smile, Laugh and Having Fun
Lots of the students who completed the 2 year program attained GCSE and A-Level passes in Physical Education and were a pleasure to teach.
ESP is committed in providing teens and young adults with improved gross motor skills, self confidence, courtesy, integrity, empowerment and perseverance whilst making a better self-improved individual in terms of fitness and mental and social well-being for todays society.
For a written review of what Becca (Senior sports coordinator) from the Acadmey Of Sport said about ESP Coach – Luke James teaching and coaching skills please click here.
#eclecticselfprotection #londonmartialarts #londonselfdefence #harrisacademy
#peachammartialarts #peachamselfdefence #peachamsports #southlondonmartialarts #southlondonsports #basketballcoaching #sportscoaching #physicaleducation #confidence #grossmotorskills #fitness #empowerment #selfesteem #physcialwellbeing #mentalwellbeing