The Duke of Edinburgh's Award (ESPA)
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award is a youth awards programme founded in the United Kingdom in 1956 by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, that has since expanded to 144 nations. The awards recognise adolescents and young adults for completing a series of self-improvement exercises modelled on Kurt Hahn's solution to the "Six Declines of Modern Youth".
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award programmes take between one and four years to complete, and they must be completed by the participant's twenty-fifth birthday. There are around 300,000 participants annually. The programmes are at three progressive levels which, if successfully completed, lead to a Bronze, Silver, or Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award.
With assistance from adult Leaders, participants select and set objectives in each of the following areas:
- Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community.
- Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition: planning, training for, and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad.
- At Gold level, participants must do an additional fifth Residential section, which involves staying and working away from home for five days, doing a shared activity.
Eclectic Self Protection (ESP) was hired to conduct a 12 week self defence training program for 3 students who were progressively working through their bronze, silver and gold awards. We had Taya, Honey & Elise all from a local school attend our training program which accelerated their self development and physical skill set.
The ESPA Duke Of Edingburgh Self Defence Program covers everything relating to the students mental, physical and skill set including:
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Self Protection
- Personal Security
- Stranger Danger
- Awareness, Avoidance & Escape
- Confidence Building
- Increased Self Assuarance
- Self Defence Skills
- Group Activities
- Fitness Training
- Improved Self Esteem
Eclectic Self Protection is committed to providing juniors and young adults with the necessary skills to protect themselves and stay safe in society whilst making a better, and more self improved you.
We would like to say a big congratulations to Taya, Honey & Elise who completed their Duke Of Edingburgh's Awards with us and we wish you all the best!